Friday, June 15, 2007

My name ain't Flipper...


I made it out to my second pool sesssion this morning around 5:45... second time in the pool this week. I have to admit, I seriously considered not going cause I wasn't sure who was or was not going to be there. But then I realized that had BIG FAT WUSS written all over it and I packed up my $8 Speedo Magnificent goggles and headed out the door.

Luckily it was not very crowded but those that were there were serious. Bikinis small, muscles large and they looked like a bunch of seals in the water effortlessly gliding through the water.

Well, here I come looking like I need to be holding a surfboard with my long shorts on rather than my goggles. I hope they need to practice some open water swimming cause the waves are gonna start coming real soon! Efficiency is not my specialty at the moment. Swimming to me right now is more of a survival technique that takes me from point A to point B in the quickest manner possible without drowning. Secondary is limiting the amount of water that has who knows what kind of bacteria, urine, fecies, and who knows what else in it front entering my mouth.

I have to admit I saw huge improvements today. And it is only the second day. I was figuring out my breathing a lot better after I learned a little tidbit of information from my buddy Scott. Little did I know that you were supposed to exhale underwater before coming back up for air. Wow, what a concept. The first time out, I couldn't figure out why I was out of breath by the time I reached the other side of the pool. I was breathing but I wasn't getting any air. What was happening was I was trying to exhale and inhale while my head was out of the water. Well, that is about impossible, you just don't have the time to empty your lungs. So I had all this air in my lungs that wasn't any good and was out of breath.

Duh!

I know the lifeguards standing around have probably been getting a good laugh this week. But give me a little time and I 'll get there. But since I am not wearing my glasses and have my Speedo Magnificent goggles on, I am really in my own little water world. But if they are laughing, put them on a bike and I will rip their legs off! And I mean that in the most sportsman like way. :)

Sorry for the swimming updates on a biking blog but I am now a triathlete wannabe. Sticker coming soon.