Wednesday, March 07, 2007

New Skid Lid...


Got an email from my team manager saying Chain Reaction is hooking the team up with new Limar 909 helmets for an insane price. I can't say how much but I will say you can't go to Wal-Mart and buy a helmet this cheap! This team thing is working out pretty well! SWEET! Plus it just looks fast. Now I just have to make sure my ass can keep up with my head!

I took my new frame by Chain Reaction to have Mark transfer everything over from my Felt. Picked up a new pair of slicks while I was there, the new Continental 4000s. How can a bike tire cost more than a motorcycle tire? I don't get it. The last pair of tires only had about 100 miles on them, but they were red. The new bike is orange. Can you see where I am going with this? I know, it's silly. But live in silly world. And in silly world, your tires match your bike.

Anyway, Mark checked the frame over and was impressed with the quality. He was not sure of the carbon construction but did a little research last night and told me this was a very nice frame, 100% carbon. He said some of the manufacturers out there say 100% carbon, but they actually mix in other materials with the carbon to cut costs. It would have been just my luck I would have picked the oddball manufacturer that mixed balsa wood with their carbon.

I gotta say, Mark at Chain Reaction is the man. Gonna have me rolling out of there either tomorrow or Friday at the latest. Just in tiem for the Saturday ride. You can't beat that. Other shops... it would have taken a week. His shop may be small but it's old school. Nothing flashy, just an honest business man providing great customer service. And that goes a long way in my book. Chain Reaction reminds me of Montgomery Hobby and Cycle back in the 80's and 90's. A lot of memories from in there. A lot of money too. Nobody could wrench on a bike like the Williams. They were the real deal. Hopefuklly Mark can stick around so my kids will be able to say the same thing about him.