Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Pain is temporary...

blah, blah, blah, something is forever. There is an old saying that goes something like that but all I remember is the "pain is temporary" part. One thing I do know is that whoever came up with that saying never trained for a triathlon. This blog is a little behind due to the fact that I have been training and not blogging. And that is a good thing cause I have a triathlon in 4 days.

We had a pretty hard training day Saturday. I didn't realize just how hard it was going to be. But I believe a lot of the reason for it being so hard was that I was just tired. I stayed up till 1 am the night before tweaking/wrenching on the new tri bike praying that it would fit better than the first ride. Then having to wake up at 5am to put in the hardest training session yet was not the best idea.

We met up at CVS at 6am and Bobby and I had already planned on putting in a 10 mile out and back, 20 mile total bike ride. Then change into our running gear and put in a 4 mile run.

The biking went fine. With all the tweaking I did on the bike, it felt a TON better. Probably not perfect but that will come when I have a bike fit. Unfortunately that will have to be after the race. But the bike set up now good enough to really push it on the bike section.

After the bike, we fueled up and hit Ray Thorington for our run. It is exactly 2 miles from the CVS to the Breckinridge entrance sign. I was feeling pretty decent up until about 1.5 miles and I was losing energy fast. My feet started feeling like bricks and my legs weren't really all that excited about my decision to go running after I had been riding for an hour at a 21 mph pace. But I kept pushing till we hit the 2 mile mark. I had a small lead on Bobby but he took over the lead after 2 miles and I never caught back up with him. He kept a nice steady pace and finished about 1-2 minutes ahead of me.

After the run, we sat on the curb talking about running and what not. He said the most he had ever run was around 9 miles and that was several years ago. I told him the most I had run was 4, and that it was just a few minutes ago! My plan for this triathlon was not to peak too soon. Am I where I need to be in my training... no. But I had never run before in my life. The last few times I tried running, I ended not being able to walk for 3 days due to shin splints. Now I can run 4 miles and probably run agin the next day. It's all about the baby steps. And to also think I had never swam a lap in my life up until about 6 weeks ago. Now I can swim 800 yards and feel good. It's not pretty but you should have been there the first time I swam a lap. I heard people cackling down Bell Rd!

Anyway, this has been an amazing experience and one that I will continue to try and improve on. Cause there isn't anywhere else to go but up from here!