Sunday, March 11, 2007

So close yet so far away...

My continuing saga continues...

Took the bike by the local shop to see if they could figure out what was wrong with my headset. After about 15 minutes of fiddling with it, he realized the crown was the wrong type. AND there were pieces missing from the headset.

So after 4 trips to the bike shop Saturday, I finally gave up and asked them if thery would just order me a new one. Why not? New frame needs some new bling. So an FSA Orbit headset with carbon compressor will be ordered Monday. Hopefully by Wednesday I will have abike that actually works.

The good thing about this is that I have learned how to install an integrated headset. Well, sort of. If I have all the pieces, I can install one. But if there is anything missing, I won't know it. Maybe I should just say I know what an integrated headset looks like when you pull the fork off and all the pieces fall out and bounce around on the floor. Yeah, that's about right.

Mental note #2: Learn to wrench my own bike!