Friday, January 12, 2007

Battery is here to stay...


One thing I have wanted to add to my training is running. Running is something that I have never really wanted to do... until now. For some reason, being able to go right out your front door and put in a 30-45 minute workout is a pretty cool concept.

So last night around 9 pm, me and my little MP3 player left out of the driveway to make another feeble attempt at running. I have been doing this for the past couple of weeks and it has been going pretty well. I have suffered from severe shin splints in the past, so I am currently only running a couple of times a week. This is to allow time in between workouts for my muscles to heal and strengthen. So far so good.

Last night got me thinking about my little MP3 player and the effect it has had on my training and alot of other athletes. Everyone has them, whether it be the pro snowboarder, the baseball player, the guy at the gym, we all use them in our training. This one of the best inventions in recent years. For me, it gives my brain something to do while my body is doing something else. And I truly believe I would not have gone running last night, or any of the previous times, if it wasn't for my MP3 player.

I actually look forward to using my MP3 player (thus making anything I do with it more enjoyable) because of the music I have downloaded to it. The ability to download the exact song you want at any given time has changed everything about buying music. No longer are we forced to buy an entire CD of crap to get the 2 songs from a band that wasn't talented enough to write an entire CD of quality material (why should they, record companies don't care as long they can get that 1 hit). We can listen to exactly what we want, when we want.

When I am out running, riding, whatever, I need music that is going to motivate me to push myself as hard as I can go. Country, rap, hip-hop, techno, and easy listening aren't going to do anything but motivate me to crawl in a dark hole and never come out. I need something that is going to light my you-know-what on fire! Music that is going to wake that inner beast that lives in all of us. Music with a message that will have me thinking about things that I have never thought about. Music so loud it could wake the dead. For me, this includes bands like System of a Down, Metallica, Megadeth, Rancid, Social Distortion, Disturbed, Janes Adddiction, Rage Against the Machine, Tool and Red Hot Chili Peppers to name a few. This type of music gets my heart pumping, blood racing, neurons sparking, I am ready to go! On the other hand, this music gives my wife a migrane and only motivates here to say bad words at me. She calls it utter crap. And that's alright, we all like to listen to different music. That is one of the great things about music in general. And that is also why the MP3 player is also so important. Listen to what you want, when you want, and not disturb your loved ones with your... well... utter crap.

Songs like Metallica's Battery are what motivate me to wake up at 5am for a training ride, encourage me to ride harder than the last time I was on my bike and push me through the pain that, if I allow it, can swallow my entire mindset and slow me down.

Lashing out the action, returning the reaction
Weak are ripped and torn away
Hypnotizing power, crushing all that cower
Battery is here to stay

Smashing through the boundaries
lunacy has found me
cannot stop the Battery
Pounding out aggression
turns into obsession
cannot kill the Battery
Battery is found in me

Crushing all deceivers, mashing non-believers
never ending potency
Hungry violence seeker, feeding off the weaker
Breeding on insanity

Smashing through the boundaries
lunacy has found me
cannot stop the Battery
Pounding out aggression
turns into obsession
cannot kill the Battery
Battery is found in me
Battery
Battery

Circle of Destruction, Hammer comes crushing
Powerhouse of energy
Whipping up a fury, Dominating flurry
We create the Battery

So... thinking about gtetting out there and breaking a sweat but just can't find the motivation? Go to Best Buy and pick up an MP3 player. Find an MP3 online store and download some of your favorites tunes. It doesn't matter what you listen to. Whatever gets you going. Just get out there!