Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Training with the enemy...


Don't let the above picture fool you... they may be cute in their wetsuits and perty smiles, but these guys are animals. They eat bullets for breakfast and do 1/2 Ironman triathlons just for kicks. I mean, come on, just look at the expression on Scott's face. He is ready for war... or maybe GQ magazine. And to think they are doing this just a few months after a 10 foot Mako shark was caught right down the beach in 9 feet of water. These guys aren't afraid of no shark, they would welcome the idea of doing the tango with a 1,000 lb. flesh eating mammal! Anything to get the heart rate up. I know I have mentioned it before but I am really impressed with James. He has come a long way on the bike, and now he has come to grips with his fear of sharks. He makes me proud. And big props go to the other athletes, they look so calm out in the water warming up.

But seriously (no joke thought about the 10 ft. mako, that is crazy!), several of the guys (from L to R - Hardy, Ken, Stan, Scott, and James), from our CVS group, headed down to P.C. Beach for a little basking in the sun, oh, and also to compete in the Gulf Coast Ironman Triathlon. While I was laying around Saturday, not riding, not really doing much of anything, they were in the middle of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run. Talk about self-induced pain and misery! Congratulations to each of them because that is a huge accomplishment.

This reminds me that I need to get my lazy tail back on the bike. I haven't ridden in almost 2 weeks, since my 12 hour race. I usually take a week off after a race but I am right on the verge of being a waste if I don't start pedaling soon. The 2007 Bump and Grind mt. bike race is approaching fast and I need to get in shape for that one. I think I am going to race Sport. That way I get to ride down Blood Rock! And yes, it is named Blood Rock because of the amount of blood that has been shed. Fun times!